Sunday, December 18, 2011

How Much is a Long Time?


Time, it seems, is not equal for everybody

Another year is almost gone and I didn’t get it all done, again. My prostate cancer decided to ignore my hormone therapy and my new meds decided to give me more and different side effects. And I noticed somewhere along the way that I’m not 39 any more.

We start most years, the declining years that is, making at least an informal list of the things we want to do for the next 12 months. This always assumes that we’ll stay healthy, no project will take longer than planned, and nothing will cost more than budgeted. You’d think we’d learn, but we’re kind of stuck in that ‘old dog, new tricks’ thing. We’re not likely to change our plans and expectations willingly.

It’s been a great year, we’re mostly as healthy as we were at this time last year, and the projects we didn’t finish will wait a while longer—really.

But when it comes to visiting old friends there sometimes isn’t a next year. It has been the sad norm the past few years that we lose a few good friends each year. So in 2012 our number one priority is friends and everything else takes a back seat.

axman

No comments: