Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Brief History of 2014

1-I'm Still Alive! Is that brief enough?
2-My prostate is still gone (since 2003) and is unlikely to grow back.
3-My PSA is remaining low--my medications seem to be working. For the cost, I should be cured.
4-Hormone therapy side effects are still alive and well and help bring out my 'feminine' side.
This part of the update has been about the same for a few years now.

2014 additions and challenges...
1-I discovered a new side effect in February. It's called Radiation Induced Bladder Cystitis. Nine years after radiation therapy no less. It is not easily treatable so many of us who had radiation before or after prostate cancer treatment are now living with bleeding and clotting in our bladder. Annoying but not life threatening.
2-A pesky mole on my back turned out to be cancerous-a
Melanoma. The surgeon got it all, put in 33 stitches and that was that...except for some other moles that will also need to be biopsied.
3-With each passing year I get slower, forget more, and spend more time getting injected, inspected, bled, scanned, and being told that, "You're doing pretty good for someone your age."

Conclusion
Life is good and I intend to make the most of it.
Enjoy

axman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry: Just a word to confirm that radiation cystitis can certainly be life threatening. I have spent the past year struggling with this problem and late last year was given only a few weeks to live prior to surgery to remove my bladder and the remains of my prostate gland. My full story on this issue can be read in several articles I have published on a web site "Gregs Legacy" http://kingvalley.wordpress.com
Regards
Lee Gallagher

Larry Axmaker said...

Lee, I read your whole article. Thank you for the information. Glad you're getting better. I would like to know what happens next.
I have been having more trouble with my bladder--heavy bleeding and blockages and am awaiting an appointment with my Urologist.

Anonymous said...

Larry: Thanks for your reply and as I explained most of my trials and treatment are covered in my several published articles. In my case it would be safe to assume I represent the worse case scenario with many patients being treated successfully with hyperbaric or various forms of laser diathermy.
Having gone through all those treatments without success it was a last resort for me with the surgery and thank god it appears to be successful.
Larry I hope your present problem is much easily resolved and is sorted out for you quickly. Good luck mate.
Lee Gallagher