Saturday, September 12, 2009

Men and Doctors – Keeping One from the Other

I’ve never known a man who would willingly go to see his doctor unless blood was gushing from a manly wound someplace. We all know it’s a good idea to get checkups, vaccinations, and prescriptions from time to time. But I put off doctor visits until my wife yells at me (inducing greater fear than seeing the doctor) and sometimes (usually) she even calls to make the appointment.

Most of the women I know make regular doctor appointments, write them down, and then actually show up at the appointed time. They don’t even make a big deal about it. Rumor has it that women (in general) live longer than men (in general). Could there be a connection between seeing a doctor and living longer? Nahhhh.

Don’t get me wrong, I get along just fine with my doctors. I even like them. I see four or five different physicians from time to time. Not one of them has ever mistreated me, lectured me, or even pointed and laughed. Maybe it comes down to some primordial need or urge to be manly and take care of myself. Or it may be inherent stubbornness or laziness – more likely. My wife would agree with all these reasons.

axman

No comments: