Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Ever Popular Man-O-Gram

Of all the things I though would never happen to me, a mammogram was near the top of the list. It was listed right after giving birth and having a hysterectomy. In doing my homework I found that when a man is involved the test is whimsically called a Man-O-Gram.

My breasts have grown steadily since I started hormone therapy more than a year ago. They’re tender, too. Maybe that’s too much information.

Every year a few thousand men have mammograms and a few hundred are diagnosed with breast cancer. My oncologist recommended I get a mammogram because of growing lumps or mass in my breasts – most likely caused by my hormone therapy, but… I discovered that some Imaging Centers won’t even accept male patients. My referral specifies the “Women’s Imaging Center”.

You’d think I’d get a little pity from my wife. Nope. Just, “Now you’ll know what it feels like!” And I will. I’ll share more after the deed is done. Nothing is impossible and never say never – I’m learning.
axman

1 comment:

seanax said...

You'd think being a guy would save you from female problems, but no.