Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Benefits of Winter Sun

…if you can find some

One of the many benefits of retirement is the opportunity to choose my own climate of residence. Each winter we try to spend a month or two in a place that’s warmer and dryer than western Oregon. So far - so good.

Spring, Summer, and Fall are tolerable most anywhere but Winter is a season of a different color. Fog, rain, ice, clouds, and short days are not high on my pleasure meter.

So, we try to spend a month or two in a warmer climate each winter – Arizona most of the time. It’s not perfect – nights are cold and the wind blows a bit – but overall 70 degree days and lots of clear skies tip the scales for me.

And don’t forget the health benefits of sunshine and vitamin D and such. I have to admit, however, that the major benefit is mental! Somehow waking up to sunshine, daily walks without rain, sitting in the sun, and picnics in January improve my outlook. From my wife’s point of view that means I’m less grumpy and that improves her mental outlook. That’s a two-fer.

axman

No comments: