Monday, March 1, 2010

In With the New

…but not necessarily OUT with the old…

We just completed the drive from sort of sunny Arizona to sort of cold and wet Idaho to see our new grandson – our sixth grandchild. As expected – at three days old he was tiny, loud, strong, and of course perfect.

What will he face when he grows up? I won’t know about a lot of his life. Will he look like me? And will he inherit my genetic link to prostate cancer? Surely there will be a cure by the time he may need it – 40 or 50 or 60 years from now. A cure four or five or six months from now would be good, too.

Helping to care for a newborn put some things in perspective;

1 I’m not really in charge – no adult is – of this small human who does what he does regardless of how much we all try to do the right thing and manage his life.

2 He sleeps when he’s ready and lets everyone know when he’s decided its time to eat – or not to eat.

3 Our best intentions may result in screaming and flailing limbs or he may cuddle and sleep for hours – it’s not totally predictable.

4 He does seem to have mastered sucking, pooping, and peeing – on his schedule.

As the grandpa, I can always hand him back to Mom and Dad when all else fails. Strangely I don’t remember a lot about the difficult times when my kids were babies – maybe because my wife did most of the hard work.

The cycle of life continues...

axman

No comments: