Thursday, March 11, 2010

Living Life Three-Months at a Time

Maybe three month segments aren’t so bad…

My life is arranged around when I see my various and sundry doctors. Over a period of several years I have managed to get all my appointments set for a one-week period every three months. That leaves two and a half months to travel, camp, read, write, and totally forget my trials and tribulations – mostly.

I have long believed – but not necessarily practiced – that worrying about my physical ailments does absolutely no good. Over the past couple of years I have noticed that I rarely think about the progression of my prostate cancer or arthritis or even senility (I forget that I might be senile) when I don’t have a pending doctor’s appointment. Then, about a week before I see my doctors I do a quick check to see if I’m still alive and functional.

Most of my medical consultations are rather boring:
“What hurts – on a scale from one to ten?”
“Things haven’t changed much – that’s probably good.”
“Here’s your prescription.”
“See you in about three months – if I’m not on vacation then.”

Then, for almost three more months, I’m free (and healthy in my own mind) again. And my circle of medical life goes on and on. Does this kind of thing happen to you, too?

Axman

No comments: