Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Advantages of NOT having a Prostate

Look on the bright side, old timer...


There is, of course, the nasty side of having your prostate surgically ripped from your body. There are side effects you won’t much like: a scar, some pain for a few weeks or months, a reduced sex life, and your bladder control never seems quite the same.

I’ve bemoaned all this and more. But what about the upside? Upside? There’s an upside?


Here is a list of some, if not all, of the obvious and not so obvious benefits I have observed and experienced from no longer having a prostate to kick around.

1. Most important to me - I’m alive seven years later and still counting

2. I never hold up lines in public restrooms (believe me, this can be a godsend)

3. I lost the two ounces the prostate weighed but I hardly notice the weight loss

4. I have an awesome scar to show anyone brave enough to want to see it (so far no one has ever asked to see it)

5. I’m definitely sterile – as if it matters to anyone as old as me

6. I can tell humorous and entertaining stories at parties about tubes and bags and diapers (my wife says definitely NO to this possibility)

7. Once the deed was done, it was done; no specific ongoing treatment – nobody ever gets a prostate implant – not yet anyway…


I consider my prostatectomy one of the more significant events of my life – after marriage, parenthood, grandparenthood, and running a few marathons.


axman

No comments: