Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Run, Rest, Recover, Repeat - - - Eventually

It takes a long, long time…

My motives (like me) are more or less pure and simple; I just want to get in shape to run another (ONE more) marathon. How hard could it be? I’ve done it 75 times before. But the dark powers of the universe seem to be conspiring against me (like in a Greek tragedy).

I’m not talking about serious injuries, hurricanes, floods, or even fire. I’m talking about the frailty of my own body and how long it takes to recover from a workout.

I’ve been doing this for six decades or so and have noticed a diabolical trend. In the early days it was pretty easy; I could do two workouts a day with no downside. Then it was one-a-day workouts until my late 40s. For the next 20 years or so I could muster every-other-day training. But now it takes three or four days between even moderate workouts to make sure the kinks are gone, the muscles are no longer sore, and the fatigue has moderated. Not fair.

A little more sleep, longer sessions in the hot tub, and a nap now and then all seem to help. But, time’s a wasting! Where did those ‘runner’s highs’ and ‘endorphins’ go? Maybe there is an age limit. I’ll let you know what I find out.

axman

No comments: