Sunday, May 23, 2010

Us Old Men with Prostate Cancer are actually Living Longer

...but why?


If you ask ten doctors why their PC patients are living longer you’ll probably get ten different answers. You’ll get the same variety of responses from those of us who have the dreaded PC. We all have an opinion but facts are few.

Is it:

  1. New medications and treatments?
  2. Better diets?
  3. Exercise for the elderly?
  4. Positive attitudes?
  5. All of the above?
  6. Some of the above?
  7. None of the above?


I don’t know for sure if I’m living longer than expected – certainly not longer than I expected. But then I’m a cockeyed optimist – mostly.


Long ago I decided NOT to take it easy and “go gently into that good night” (apologies to Dylan Thomas). I have never seen any evidence that being active and pushing your limits does any harm. And even if it does, it keeps life from being boring.


Life is always terminal so having a terminal disease doesn’t change things all that much – hopefully.

axman


No comments: