Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving is for Giving Thanks

Life is short so take advantage of every opportunity...

As I get older (and believe me, I do feel older) I am finding a lot of things to be thankful for. For those of us fighting any kind of cancer I believe this is especially important. It can be easy to focus on life not being fair, treatment being expensive, conditions getting worse, and not being able to do what we used to do. True or not, there's not much we can do about them.

My wife Carol and I have been able to spend time with all our kids and grandkids during the past several weeks--not always the same time or the same place, but together nonetheless. It was great! I encourage you to spend time with family and friends, and not just during holidays. Most of the people I know who are living with a serious disease have a very positive outlook on life. It's fun to be around them. We laugh a lot.

Our motto is: DO AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AS LONG AS YOU CAN. So far, so good. I just do it a lot slower than last year.

 I sometimes think about the good old days but as far as I'm concerned, the good days are now. If this sounds like I'm out of touch with reality, maybe so. I know I won't live forever--neither will you. However long any of us survive will probably seem better if we focus on being active and happy and not angry and miserable. Just saying.

axman


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% Larry. Since being diagnosed with prostate cancer, I try to live by the motto "Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow problems. it just takes away today's peace." Sometimes it's difficult but I still try.
Bryan

Larry Axmaker said...

Good motto. Nobody can stay positive all the time but 'most of the time' will do the trick for me (most of the time).