Saturday, June 6, 2009

Bucket Lists

A couple years ago, when it became obvious that my prostate cancer and my wife's diabetes were not going to get much better or go away, we made some not-so-difficult decisions:

We were going to spend our kid's inheritance (the stock market has been amazingly helpful in this)

We were going to do as many things and go as many places as possible (bad backs and poor memories be damned)

We were going to spend time with kids and grandkids and friends (as long as they could put up with us)

We were going to read books and drink wine and take naps (so far so good).

When I shared this sort-of philosophy with some of my prostate cancer survivor friends, they didn't necessarily share my goals. In fact, several of them had an almost-opposite goal: stay home, relax, enjoy what you have, and fade away gracefully. It made me think a little (I didn't want to overdo it) - everybody has their own idea of what their retirement years should include. Fair enough. Just make sure you actually make a decision. Don't just let time slip and slide away and then wonder where it all went...
Do what YOU want to do before you "kick the bucket."
axman

No comments: