Saturday, June 13, 2009

Waiting for Symptoms

I am convinced most men (including me) operate in a state of denial at least part of the time. In my discussions with guys who have prostate cancer and those who's wives think they might be at risk there is a common thread: "I'll go see a doctor as soon as I have some symptoms." "What symptoms?" I ask. Many of these guys are convinced (or want to be) that anything as serious as prostate cancer would definitely have some warning signs. Pain or difficulty in urinating would be symptom number one. No pain - no disease.
If only... In fact (and most men know this deep down someplace) prostate cancer usually has NO early signs, signals, or symptoms. It would be nice to have symptoms BEFORE going to a doctor. If you go for a prostate cancer exam and DON'T have prostate cancer are you a wuss? Would Real Men and Real Women point and laugh? ...they might anyway, but that's another story.
Six years after my initial diagnosis and subsequent treatments I still haven't had even ONE small symptom that might be connected with my prostate cancer. Not one. And that's the norm.
Bottom line? Don't wait for symptoms. Be a wuss and get a checkup now and then.

axman

No comments: