Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Every Few Years…


There are those pesky scans and tests

Because prostate cancer tends to go on and on and on (that’s actually a good thing), it’s possible and important to check out what’s happing internally from time to time. There might be tumors or lumps or spots or bulges or something else.

It was my turn. My PSA jumped up a little so I was scheduled for a bunch of blood tests, a bone scan, a CT scan, and we topped it off (or bottomed out) with a colonoscopy. Woo Hoo.

This all required most of three days ay my clinic of choice at OHSU (Oregon Health and Sciences University). That was not my favorite way to spend a few days but I admit I was a little curious about what they might find.

I doubt that the whole process makes my Health Insurance provider very happy.

After the tests there’s that gap of days or weeks before I get to know the results. I was pretty sure everything was OK, but the longer the wait the more I wondered.

Finally the results—everything (every test) was OK and normal (as normal as I could ever be, anyway) and I can breathe a sigh of relief and toast my good fortune with a glass of wine. I’d drink the wine whatever the results were, of course.

And in another few years…

axman

No comments: