Thursday, August 16, 2012

Is Sleep Really Overrated?

Not mine!

There was a time when I considered sleep a waste of time or necessary evil--there was too much I wanted to do. In my late teens and twenties I often went to school by day and worked by night. There would be days on end when I didn't sleep more than two or three hours. No sweat. I don't remember being sleepy or fatigued. Maybe that's a bit of selective memory, but I survived.

Years passed and I discovered that I needed more sleep to function--at least five or six hours a night. Late nights would find me nodding off the next day (hopefully not when driving or operating heavy machinery).

Now in my retirement years I find myself sleeping more and more, including a nap most days. Is it related to the medications I take? Or my body valiantly fighting the prostate cancer?  Eight or nine hours isn't unusual. Is that normal? I guess it is for me but some of my geriatric friends say they have difficulty getting quality sleep most of the time. Is that normal?

I guess I'm lucky to go to sleep so easily but there's always a fear that I'll need more and more. Of course getting up every couple of hours at night takes a little of that sleep time. I'd hate to sleep so much I missed out on meals.

axman

No comments: