Thursday, April 9, 2009

Look for the Good News

My definition of health, happiness, and quality of life has undergone some significant changes over the past seven years. Since I was diagnosed with prostate cancer my health news has not been consistently good. There have been snippets of good news along with the progression of my recurrent cancer. This week I experienced one of those snippets of good news that has me smiling - at least for now.

Progressions - Good News has Many Definitions
  • Seven years ago - the good news was that I had NOT been diagnosed with prostate cancer and there was no possibility in my mind that I ever would be! I was invincible.


  • Six years ago - the good news was that my surgeon told me the tumor was encapsulated and the tumor and my cancer had been successfully removed. Survival is always good news.


  • Four years ago - the good news was that after 37 external beam radiation treatments my recurrent cancer was gone - again - and my PSA was near zero. And the sores and weakness would pass.


  • Two years ago - the good news was that I was accepted into a clinical trial that looked promising for slowing my ever-increasing PSA. Potential good news, anyway.


  • One year ago - the good news was that I started taking two hormone medications that almost immediately started to lower my PSA. Good news, but no cure.


  • One week ago - the good news was that my PSA was low enough that I could stop taking ONE of my hormone pills - for a while at least.


  • Next month - who knows? As long as my definition of Good News is flexible I can keep looking.

So now I'm happy to be as healthy as I am for as long as I can. The rules and the reality keep changing. I hope I can keep up. I'm sure I can.

axman

No comments: