Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What About Clinical Trials?

There are hundreds of thousands of men who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. In many cases (like mine and maybe yours) there is no known cure. So what do you do next? Often the answer is to do nothing. That's not a very good answer.

Whatever the stage of your cancer there are probably clinical trials available that are testing new drugs or procedures. In most cases there is very little or no cost to you. But very few of us who have cancer ever participate in a clinical trial or clinical study. Why?


Maybe you don't know about the trials. Maybe your doctor recommends against them. In fact, only three to five percent of those with cancer ever participate in a clinical trial. A trial has no guarantees of success. Most trials are quite safe - the medications have been extensively tested for safety before they're ever tried on humans. But nobody knows what the ultimate results will be.

I have been in two clinical trials. Neither of them cured my prostate cancer or even slowed it down. But I'm glad I participated - I got free testing, I learned more about my own cancer, and I made contact with others going through what I was going through. And I'd participate in another if it looked promising.

Talk with your doctor and google Clinlical Trials with the name of your cancer. Find out what's available and then ask lots of questions. You have to apply and fill out endless forms, but you might get lucky and land in a study that tests the new super cancer drug. It could happen.

What is your experinece with clincial trials? What are your reservations?
axman

No comments: